Thursday, January 29, 2009

No Habla Escargot

A few nights ago, I asked Jack to pick out a story for bedtime and he handed me "Theodore and the Tall Ships". And excellent choice, I thought, as it has many similarities to Thomas the Tank Engine, which is very popular in our house.
So as I am reading about the Tall Ships that have come from many places around the world to port at Big Harbour, I realize that I have no idea how to pronounce the way the Tall Ships say "Hello" in their many different languages, such as Italian, German and Dutch. I said the Spanish and French "Hello's" properly and the boys even tried to copy, but I felt very inadequate. I am my children's teacher, and in a world where knowing a second language has become almost mandatory, I can't even say "Hello" in Italian. Or German. Or Dutch.

So today I shall teach myself, and the boys, via the internet. Google, I *heart* U.

In other news, the playroom has been a big success. I have introduced coloring back into the boys lives, since they have an actual place to color that isn't my walls. I absolutely cannot WAIT for spring, so we can play with play-doh outside. There is no way you could pay me enough to let them play with it inside. I am NOT cleaning THAT out of the carpet.
I am also looking for preschools for the boys. We have a new Montessori school opening just a few miles from our house, and I am very excited to take a tour of it. Nathan doesn't understand why I dont just put them in daycare or a regular preschool (which is pretty much daycare around here). I really wish his head would extract itself from whatever world its been living in and realize that our children need a much more educated upbringing than we were required. He was homeschooled, I went to public school. He graduated early, I dropped out. He has a great job, I qualify for McDonalds.
You can see why I am very adamant. I have high expectations when it comes to my children's education. So I am doing the best I can, with what I have and can find during a Goodwill run, to teach them not only the basic ABC's and 123's, but now we will be working on other languages as well. Plus Phoenix is old enough to have an extra cirricular activity, so I am thinking about putting him in tumbling (since he loves to jump and do somersaults), or piano (he's nearly worn the white off the keys of his keyboard, lol). Jack will have his own class to go to at age 3 also, as I think his interests will be more defined by then. I honestly can only handle adding one new thing to our schedule at a time. I'm pretty overwhelmed as it is, but I try. I try with everything in me because my children are my world, and I would be absolutely nothing without them :)

1 comment: